Pages

fdfdfdfd
dfdfdfdfdfdfdfdfdfdf

Saturday, February 15, 2014

1. and a particular joy in my heart.

The wee lady is one year old now. Her birthday has come and gone and now we have a year to fill with life before we say hello to another St. Valentine's Day. I pray for so much for Margot Jane, but mostly (selfishly and selflessly) for myself. That I have all the grace, strength, patience, and wisdom to mother her well. That I may know when to be soft and when to be firm, when to raise my voice and when to murmur sweetness into her pink little ears. 

It was a wonderful birthday- aside from the fact that my mom- whose birthday is the day before Margot's, and who had planned to fly out to visit us for the weekend- wasn't able to visit after all, and we had so been looking forward to seeing her (understatement). That, and Brendan worked more than 12 hours. And we were snowed in, so all of our playgroups were cancelled. What I'm saying is that Margot's birthday was excellent, if you factor in a whole lot of snow and not a lot of company.
I'm pretty sure she had a great time anyway and she loved the one present Brendan and I splurged to get her, a little doll stroller for her to push her assortment of teddy bears in. We spent the evening eating a chicken cordon bleu dinner (Brendan, me, and Margot), being skeptical of the vanilla cake with hibiscus cream cheese frosting (Margot), saying "she's the greatest. aren't we so lucky?!" (me and Brendan), opening presents (Margot), and staying up too late (all of us).

Margot also decided that this week she would really start walking. Where before, she'd take a few steps and then grow unenamored with the idea of shuffling her feet, now she takes beautifully confident steps. So, not only do we now have a one year old, but we also have ourselves a toddler.

{she spent a lot of the day snuggling with Pooh and actually being pretty grumpy with humans (me)}

{and then, when dada came home and we broke out the cake, she was mesmerized- and a little concerned?- by the fire on the cake}
{she was pretty skeptical of the whole cake situation, actually}

{but that's okay- because it left more for Brendan and I to devour... and it was dang good cake, even if Margot didn't do a thing to it but smash it around :)}

{there were a few presents, of course, which Margot opted to open while topless.}

{"helping" dada open the box...}
{a little silliness!}
{and finally, a new way to transport her pals!}

I'm not trying to make this a poetry blog or anything, but I have been reading more poetry lately as Margot naps, and I read a poem this week that stuck with me, and really somehow captured what I've been feeling watching my daughter grow. So, forgive the poem heavy nature of my blog but hey! I'm a nerd and this is my blog so I can share what I want. And you don't have to read it. But maybe you should. :)

A NEWBORN GIRL AT PASSOVER
by Nan Cohen

Consider one apricot in a basket of them.
It is very much like all the other apricots--
an individual already, skin and seed.
Now think of this day. One you will probably forget.
The next breath you take, a long drink of air.
Holiday or not, it doesn't matter.
A child is born and doesn't know what day it is.
The particular joy in my heart she cannot imagine.
The taste of apricots is in store for her.

Those last two lines get me. "The particular joy in my heart she cannot imagine / The taste of apricots is in store for her".

Yes.

4 comments:

  1. Happy birthday again Margot! I just love the expression of her face looking at the cake, haha!

    And congrats to you and Brendan for surviving a glorious year of parenthood ;)
    Andrea

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Margot says, "thank you my dear! One day I'm sure I'll love cake as much as my mom!" :)
      p.s. congrats to YOU and your betrothed! love love love.

      Delete
  2. ah love to read your thoughts. that is such a sweet poem. how'd you happen upon it? i've been getting particularly into poetry lately!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I have a poetry loving friend who has THE most excellent taste in poetry. :)

      Delete

thanks for reading! I'd love if you would drop me a line or two. please don't be shy!