Pages

fdfdfdfd
dfdfdfdfdfdfdfdfdfdf

Monday, May 19, 2014

{currently. volume 3.}

Hello! Happy Monday. I'm doing that thing that I do, where I pretty much only blog when I'm participating in a linkup. And my very favorite one to do is the one over at A Mama Collective.

Here's my currently:

Thinking about: sacrifice in mothering. it seems obvious to others, probably, but something that I have to continually beat into my brain is that mothering is sacrificial in its very nature. it is work. beloved, beautiful, sweet work. but work. (and if we're being honest, work that often entails getting poo on my hand, getting woken up a bajillion times by my 15 month old who *still* doesn't sleep through the night, and muddling through pterodactyl screaming toddler tantrums). my knee jerk reaction to the various difficulties inherent in being a mother is to run. "this is just not working for me. I'd rather be calmly and comfortably sipping a latte and reading a novel." when, truly, (and this is no coincidence) some of the profoundest moments of my mothering career have been the very most difficult ones. the ones I honestly thought I would not live through. the colicky, crying newborn days. the freaking out over food allergies and barely getting a wink of sleep days. the days I would call my own mother and cry, wondering what on earth I thought I was doing bringing a child onto this earth. those moments, looking back, were building me into the mother I am today. and, obviously, the hard moments today (when my girl woke up about an hour too soon, only to grumpily follow me around the house screaming and crying for no apparent reason) are building me into the mother I will one day be. it's all a process, and no, it's not comfortable. and that's okay. growth comes with many a growing pain. 

speaking of growing, is she not a teenager now?! craziness. 

Reading: well, I've kind of gotten side tracked watching my latest television addiction, so not much reading is actually happening around here (besides my husband cramming for boards). I'm still reading the same book as last week. this one. if you are a nerd, and a Janeite, and love Brit Lit, or British History... then you'll be doing yourself a favor picking it up. 
Listening to: almost-silence. well, periodic screams. (we're in a big screaming phase around here). 
Watching: I know I'm way late to the game, but I do this thing where I purposefully don't watch the same shows that everyone loves when they love them. Instead, I prefer to wait a few years (ahem, until there are many seasons streaming on Netflix) and binge watch them. Anyway, I did that with Breaking Bad most recently, and now I have fallen headfirst into Mad Men. Which I cannot stop watching. Seriously, find me at my perch at every naptime and bedtime, with a period-inspired cocktail in hand. #guiltypleasure


Thankful for: My husband, always. He really is just such an absolute gem. Kind, patient, loving, sincere, thoughtful, intelligent, funny. I'm grateful for him and for a happy family life, because that wasn't something I witnessed growing up. I don't talk about it much here, but I didn't have many examples of good marriages when I was a child, and I also didn't have a very happy childhood. So, I'm grateful for this family I have now, and the chance to sort of rewrite history in a way. 
Wishing: 
1. get clothes donated to Goodwill
2. walk every day
3. get a few date nights scheduled in with the babysitting coop. 

9 comments:

  1. Great points about mother. honest and true. Thank you for sharing! I watch Mad Men too and find myself craving Scotch haha! Happy to have found you through the link-up!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! Scotch! My husband was gifted a really nice bottle of it just before our wedding (so, more than three years ago now) and neither of us can yet stomach it. It seems like a nice idea, though.... For now, we're into gin-based drinks because Spring has sprung and it just tastes so fresh. :) Thanks for reading!

      Delete
  2. beautiful words about motherhood and sacrifice. I like to think (hope) its character building!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes. So incredibly character building! My goodness, I can't imagine how selfish I was before having a baby. I mean, I'm still selfish.... but my options for being totally selfish are limited by what my baby wants/needs in any given moment. Definitely a grace-filled thing. Thanks for reading along!

      Delete
  3. I'm so that way with TV shows. I just finished Fringe. Weird.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmm. I'll have to look into Fringe! I'm so impatient that I can't stand watching shows the "normal" way, waiting for each individual episode to be aired (and actually, I don't have cable- just a Roku box and HuluPlus/Netflix subscriptions). Haha!

      Thanks for stopping by. :)

      Delete
  4. Ugh- those words about the sacrifice hit me right one. Just what I needed to hear, perhaps not what I wanted to hear though. 😬 I too often think the same things about life with lattes and free time. But the way it makes us the people we are supposed to be, yes, yes, that is what it is all about. Good words mama! Thanks for sharing and linking up :) // Mary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, yes. There's what we want and what we NEED. And I firmly believe God attends heartily to the latter, especially when it comes to motherhood. Kind of like me forcing my daughter to eat blueberries instead of what she wants- cookies... and then, it turns out, that she LOVES blueberries. Motherhood is like that. Something we need, but also something that nourishes us in a delicious way :)

      Delete
  5. Thank you for your words about Sacrifice in mothering. Wow. Something I think about...but never really thought about that way. I too have those moments. Thanks for the reminder that we are all human & going through this together.

    Becky with Choose Happy

    ReplyDelete

thanks for reading! I'd love if you would drop me a line or two. please don't be shy!