Pages

fdfdfdfd
dfdfdfdfdfdfdfdfdfdf

Saturday, May 10, 2014

raspberry muffins.





{açai juice mustache}

The other day, I made a batch of muffins, periodically stopping to pick Margot up and hold her at her whim as I stirred together the butter, yogurt, maple syrup, pinch of cinnamon, baking soda and powder, fresh raspberries, and flour. It was such a simple thing, but I was acutely aware of how grateful I was to have a small child to snuggle as I named out the steps of the recipe.

"And now we whisk together the leavening agents, salt, and flour, because mama is too lazy to sift. Now we melt the butter, and add it to the maple syrup and yogurt. Then we stir the wet ingredients into the dry, but not too much. The muffins will come out stiff if we stir too much." 

This girl of mine is a mama's girl these days, through and through. I don't mind it at all, because it's only recently that I've really noticed how quickly she's growing up, and how soon she will do things like give up nursing and cuddles and sleeping in our bed. The first year was hard with her, I can't even try to sugar coat it. But now looking, I see such a sweetness in it. I'm glad for every difficult moment, for every truly sleepless night, for every time I wondered if I had it in me to even be a mom. That year was a solid foundation for me, a way for me to grab my bearings as a woman and a mother. And it was priceless time with the girl who made me a mom. 

I really can't believe this is the second mother's day I'll spend with my little goof. She's my absolute joy, the one who teaches me endless patience, who makes me laugh, who has taught me my own strength, who forces me to be kind and soft and firm and silly and above all, loving, always. She makes me a better me. 

These days, she loves helicopters (and has her own word for them! "cop-bup"); flowers; laying in the grass; "helping" me cook; reading thousands of books; climbing the stairs and then descending them; going on long walks in her stroller; singing songs; playing her triangle; dinner time; and nursing. She has the funniest (mom bias) little spirit and the goofiest grin. She can also be super serious when she's taking the world in. I love those opposing sides of her. 

I can't wait to see the person she grows into- who she'll be in the coming years. But for now, I'm just soaking in the simplicity of making raspberry muffins with the girl I love. 

3 comments:

  1. This is beautiful. :) And those muffins look amazing. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, friend! They were kind of sinfully good. And I ate more than I should have. :)

      Delete

thanks for reading! I'd love if you would drop me a line or two. please don't be shy!