Pages

fdfdfdfd
dfdfdfdfdfdfdfdfdfdf

Monday, September 15, 2014

{Fall is here}

I just turned on the heat for the first time since May, and roasted a whole pumpkin last week for use in kaddo bourani, pumpkin bread, and pumpkin spiced coffee. I guess Fall is here? Or just about!

{totally unrelated photo of my child's curls, taken in warmer weather- just the week before last}

Which is exciting, because (a) it's my favorite season, even when people try to diss it and say that it's a "trendy blogger thing" to like Fall. nopey nope nope. I've always loved Fall, and I love it even more now that I've lived in seasonal climates (read: not-Southern-California) for four years. (b) Margot makes all things joyful and new.

For instance, we live adjacent to a rather large walnut tree that starts dropping enormous heavy nuts (rather dangerously, I might add- these things are like baseballs dropping from a distance!) at the end of summer. Margot is enamored with it because she thinks our street has magically lined itself with green balls, which is really a dream come true for her. Every time we go outside: "baaaahs!!!! kick!" (Our gal is really into soccer and will not be persuaded that one can also "throw" or "roll" or "hit" a ball. In her mind, balls are for one thing: kicking).

Other goings-on currently: still keeping up with Brendan's crazy work schedule (he's on critical care right now- Neuro ICU to be specific), scheduling our whole Fall/Winter season. We're heading straight into Brendan's interview season, and he'll be interviewing for residency spots. It's exciting to think about where we might end up in less than a year. Milwaukee? Omaha? Kalamazoo? I'll go ahead and put it out into the universe that our very top spot is Portland, Maine. I personally think it'd be dreamy to live by the sea again, I love the old-timey feel of downtown, the copious amounts of good coffee and craft beer (and craft spirits! and craft mead!), and the food culture. I love that Portland is a small city with plenty of things to do, but no rush-hour traffic unless you're really keen on popping into Boston, which is only 90 minutes away. I feel really good about ending up there, but match is a zany process (wiki HERE if you want to know more about it) so I'm keeping my heart open to anything, even if that means staying right here in rural Central PA.

That's what this year really means to me. (And by year, I mean the academic year, in case you were confused. Our years are still very much defined by a June to June schedule....) This year's lesson is openness. 

I've learned, and am still learning, how to be open to what life has in store for us, without holding too tightly to preconceived notions of how things "should be". I've also learned how to be open to new friendships, new ideas, and new ways of doing things. It feels really good, refreshing really, to just lean into life instead of constantly being afraid or nervous about uncertainty or otherness. I'm personally glad it's "only" taken me more than 3 full years of Brendan being in medical school to learn these lessons, because our life is going to be pretty chock full of stress/change/uncertainty for years and years to come. We're only at the beginning of the next part of the residency journey, and that's not to say anything of future fellowships, medical missions, or moving for that eventual "real job" one day. And that's just Brendan's side of things! I have my own career goals, too (MPH in maternal child health, and possibly becoming a nurse midwife) and a more-than-full time job being home with Margot, who we want to homeschool. If I weren't learning how to welcome change with open arms, I'd probably be curled up into the fetal position just thinking about the trajectory our life is about to take in coming years.

But instead, I'm actually pretty excited. It feels like, along with Fall and the changing leaves, our life is undergoing some pretty big changes, too.

Annnnnnyway. I really just had popped onto this here blog to write about Fall, and lookee where we ended up. A whole novel's worth of words. Ha! Thanks for reading, and I hope you're having a happy Monday, wherever you are, whatever the weather's like in your neck of the woods, and whatever changes are happening in your life.

No comments:

Post a Comment

thanks for reading! I'd love if you would drop me a line or two. please don't be shy!